Stella di Campalto’s estate, originally known as Podere San Giuseppe, was founded in 1910. It fell into abandonment during the World War II and had been in an a state of near ruin since that time and until her family’s purchase. It was then, in 1991, that Stella began to resuscitate the property. The estate comprises about thirteen and a half hectares in total, with five and a half currently committed under vine. The head of the family winery is the lovely Stella di Campalto, who has overseen the winemaking and viticulture since 1992. She has practiced certified organic farming here since 1996 and in 2002 began practicing biodynamic farming as well – becoming certified in 2005. The estate lies at the very southeast corner of the Montalcino zone, outside of Castelnuovo dell’Abate. The heart and soul of the estate is its lovely clutch of top Brunello vineyards, which include the vineyards of Vigna al Lecchio, Vigna Curva, Vigna al Sasso, Vigna Bassa and Vigna All’ulivo, all of which sit between nine hundred and a thousand feet above sea level with generally south facing exposures (only Vigna All’ulivo has a westerly exposure and also has a small section classified solely for Rosso di Montalcino production as well). The vineyards are lovingly nurtured to produce the finest most natural fruit possible, and then the cellar regimen at Stella di Campalto is designed to treat the wines as gently as possible to retain the individual vintage characteristics of the wines.